Skip to main content

Tzedek, Tzedek Tirdof - Justice, Justice, Shall Your Pursue

 Rabban Shimon ben Gamaliel used to say: on three things does the world stand: On justice, on truth, and on peace, as it is said: “execute the judgment of truth and peace in your gates” (Zechariah 8:16). Ethics of our Ancestors 2:14 

Generally speaking, people react to receiving a jury duty summons with the same level of enthusiasm as being told they need root canal surgery. And this was, in fact, my reaction upon receiving the notice from the Office of the Fulton County, Georgia, District Attorney. My one consolation was that, in the past, my social work degree had made my selection to a jury anathema to prosecuting attorneys. It was, if you will excuse the reference, my “get out of jail card.”  But not this time.





My snide and dubious attitude all changed when I raised my right hand to be sworn in as a juror. This was an oath, and a person’s future was in my hands.

Our Jewish tradition takes judging and justice very seriously. “Tzedek, Tzedek tirdof” — Justice, justice you should pursue. (Deuteronomy 16:20). Our sages commented that since every word in the Torah is deemed to be essential, the fact that the word “Tzedek” is repeated twice speaks of its primacy in Jewish life. They also comment on the word “tirdof” — pursue. It is not sufficient for us to apply justice when it comes to us, but we must actively pursue it.

Over the course of three days, we (the jury) were sent to the jury room numerous times. Each time we returned to the courtroom after a break or deliberating, the bailiff would pronounce, “All rise for the jury.” I snapped to attention as I heard those words and as the import of their meaning washed over me. I had taken on, in the civic sense, a sacred responsibility. I was tasked with the same responsibility articulated in the Torah thousands of years ago:

“I charged your magistrates at that time as follows, ‘Hear out your fellow Israelites, and decide justly between one party and the other—be it a fellow Israelite or a stranger. You shall not be partial in judgment: hear out low and high alike. Fear neither party, for judgment is God’s.’” Deuteronomy 1: 16-17

 The Hebrew language has three words for justice, each with a different connotation:
•    Din — judgment of the law.  
•    Mishpat — the law and the sentence associated with it.
•    Tzedek —a broader societal justice (“righteousness”),  and our responsibility to pursue it.
The precision of the language speaks of the necessity of care in pursuing justice — in all its forms.
It may seem difficult to feel a sacred civic sense of responsibility these days. But what will become of us if it is lost?
And how do we share our commitment to justice with our grandchildren? I believe, as in all things grandparental, we do so by modeling. Certainly, we cannot wait until the rare moment when we are called to jury duty — or even for the first Tuesday of November when we proudly wear our “I voted” sticker. Perhaps it begins when we wait for a green light before crossing the street, pick up a piece of trash off the sidewalk, or speak respectfully to a police officer, crossing guard, or postal worker.
I was exhausted by the intensity of attention that was required for the three days I served on the jury. My vote would change a person’s life forever. I had embraced the sacred responsibility of pursuing justice.  For me, serving on a jury was a vital civic duty booster shot. Now I have to consider how I will share that sense of duty with my grandchildren.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bina Trail

This past July, a heavy summer rainstorm deposited perhaps 5 inches of rain on our Sandy Springs neighborhood along with an 80-foot oak on the roof of our home.  The tree removal, which involved an array of heavy equipment not generally intended for suburban usage, also destroyed our yard’s limited landscaping. Desperate to transition our backyard from a post-apocalyptic landscape to something fit for human habitation, I reached out to our local UGA Extension office.  Several weeks later, Abra, an advisor from the office, visited our home to assess the lunar-like landscape.  Observing the ¼ acre arbor of dense trees behind our yard and, noting that I had a granddaughter, she suggested that I create woodland trails to explore.  “For the grandchild” were the three magical words that catalyzed me into action. A week later, Atlanta Arbor, the company that had so expertly removed the oak encased in our roof, deposited a truckload of wood chips on our front lawn. ...

Snapshots of a Miracle

As parents, the miracle of a child’s development seemed to pass us by like scenery through the window of a speeding train.  We spent our days, feeding, bathing, diaper changing and coaxing into bed and suddenly, and without warning, our children were transformed from tiny, helpless infants into small encapsulations of humanity who talk a mile a minute, endlessly play peek a boo and get lost in books.  One day they are in diapers and the next they are in college. Conversely, as grandparents, we have the best seats in the house from which to watch and marvel at the miracle of a child’s development. Each day, Jo and I observe this miracle through the lens of Facetime.  One day, Bina scoots across the floor on all fours.  The next, she is taking tentative first steps.  In a seeming blink of an eye, she is toddling about, bent on exploring the world.  One day she utters a tentative “hi” – perhaps the first word she shared with...

Some Assembly Required

Five thousand years from now, a researcher of ancient manuscripts will be perusing the stacks of the Beinecke Library at Yale University and will uncover a frail yellowed document with simple, yet indecipherable pictograms. An expert in ancient English, he will struggle to read the words, seemingly meaningless; “ Ikea, SNIGLAR Crib” . He will spend months, perhaps years, searching in vain to fathom its meaning.  Carbon dating will be used to identify its origins.  Engineers will gather from across the globe seeking to ponder its purpose.   Religious scholars will determine that it is a relic of an ancient cult – perhaps sacred instructions to build a tabernacle to be carried by a nomadic people as they wandered through the desert.   Of course, we do not have to wait five thousand years for people to be mystified by Ikea instructions.  In households around the world, recent college graduates, young couples, husbands and wives an...